Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fifty Fish, Forty Days

There are over 50 species of fish permitted on the 1972 Weight Watchers Program.

You MUST eat a minimum of 5 weekly fish meals - using fresh, frozen or canned fish.

Fish may be boiled, poached, broiled, roasted, baked or browned. Never fried.

It's March. It's lent. It's time to get fishy.


photo courtesy of y108.radio.com

But here's the deal. I live in Pittsburgh - capital of the Church Lady Fish Fry. You seriously can't drive more than 5 miles in any direction during the next 40 days without seeing a poorly hand-painted sign that says - "Fish Fry This Friday $8".

So for the next few weeks, I will offer some Retro WW alternatives to that dreaded deep fried end-of-the-week weight loss foe.

We WILL get through this. Together. The next few weeks will involve fish soups, fish molds, and a saucy little number I like to call the Fiske Ballar.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Oh yuck! I gagged just looking at the stuff - I can't believe I used to eat that stuff. Not that but stuff like it. My Mom tried to be creative when ti came to fish 5 times a week. How about turbot boiled in chili water? Blechh