Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Guest Post #2 - Are You Inspired?

When Clare from clareisrunning.blogspot.com told me she was interested in writing a guest post for the Retro WW Recipe challenge, I asked her what type of recipe she wanted to try. SOUP was her choice, and I knew immediately what dish to send her. My only advice? Light some funky candles and put on some mood music, because this soup is groovy, baby.

Inspiration Soup
3 cups tomato juice
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups canned bean sprouts, drained & rinsed

1 cup drained canned asparagus plus 1/2 cup liquid
1 cup drained canned green beans plus 1/2 cup liquid

1/2 cup canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained & rinsed
2 ribs celery, chopped
4 beef bouillon cubes
4 envelopes unflavored gelatin

1 cup cold water few drops Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup dehydrated onion flakes
Dash of each: celery salt, garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme


Combine tomato juice, water, sprouts, asparagus/liquid, green beans/liquid, bamboo shoots, celery and bouillon in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water to soften. Add to soup. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer 20 minutes, adding more water if needed. Divide evenly. Makes 8 servings.




Mimi - Thanks so much for the opportunity to contribute to the Retro WW Recipe Challenge! As I looked over all of the ingredients for my Inspiration Soup I must admit I felt completely inspired to skip dinner altogether. And then there was that pungent, nauseating smell as the cooking began. I could barely bring myself to taste the end result so I pinched my nose and closed my eyes and...it was actually really good!


Even my family enjoyed it - so now we have a fridge-full of soup for dinner tomorrow too:). Cooking tomorrow night's dinner for the family on a Monday - how very 'Mad Men'! Now I just need to quit my job, start smoking and learn how to crochet. I am inspired!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the guest post! I love the humor in it too! :) hehe Must say I'm gonna take Clare's word on how good it was. :)

Lynn Thompson said...

I'm with TJ on this one! I will take Clare's word for how good it was.

The Early family said...

Thank you for having me as your "guest"! See clareisrunning.blogspot.com for your shout out :) C

Anonymous said...

I wonder, if there is gelatin in it, if it'll be an aspic by tomorrow!? Fun. I'm hoping to do my recipe tomorrow Mimi....will let you know how it goes. Thank God there is no gelatin in my recipe!!!