Sunday, June 27, 2010

Coffy Toffy - FAIL

"We might think we can't help gaining weight because we're cravers. We crave food, but if we give ourselves a chance we'll find that we crave other things too; food is just the easiest target. I found that I also craved being able to give. I craved being active, doing something I loved. I craved beautiful clothes I looked good in..." -Jean Nidetch

Sorry Jean. Today, I craved candy. It was just one of those days.

So I've been hearing about this fab-tastic Retro WW treat from some very reliable retro WW alums and really wanted to give it a whirl. They tell me if you're craving candy, this is a surefire satisfying substitute. It sounded so simple, and I had all of the ingredients, so why not?

The Coffy Toffy

1 1/2 tsp instant coffee
2/3 cup non-fat dry milk
1 tbsp artificial sweetener
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp water

Combine dry ingredients, then sprinkle with extract and water. Stir until mixture forms dry paste that just holds together, and shape into 1" balls. Chill in freezer.

My first two attempts went straight into the disposal. Apparently, if you stir it too long the mixture will not be pasty "enough", and in fact - it turns into a runny liquid. Sadly, you cannot shape a runny liquid into a 1" ball no matter how hard you may try. On my third attempt, I was able to achieve a paste-like consistency, but still not pasty enough to form into balls. It was more like gooey clumps.


The whole process was sloppy, sticky and thoroughly aggravating. At one point, I think I was swearing at the bowl of Coffee Toffy, and yelling "I hate you!" It didn't help that I had a band-aid on my finger and forgot to remove it before sticking my hands into that mess. Looking back, I really should have thought that through a little better. My bad.


Anyway, on a positive note, I am no longer craving candy. I'm too annoyed to even think about it. The Coffy Toffy is in the freezer, and I think I'll go shopping or take a walk to clear my head.

Well whataya know. I guess Jean was right!

4 comments:

Bring Pretty Back said...

Jean was right!!!!!!!
Kristin

Vonlipi said...

At least you failed in Pyrex!lol

Those sure are crazy recipes. By the way I checked how some hot dog sausages nutritional info and it's not pretty! Each sausage had at least 100 calories, a lot of sodium- some as much as 1000 mg and cholesterol as much as 40mg. Some chicken sausages were the worst!

Goes to show you need to read the labels!

Unknown said...

OMG, that is the most horrifying thing Ive seen in a long time. And I'm not even thinking food here.

I worked in hospitals ya know?

Tracy

Trina said...

It's a good thing your band aid didn't come off because it's the same color as your "candy".